Austen T Smith, a fiercely proud Yorkshireman originating from Huddersfield, having studied in Cardiff, Wales for both his UG degrees, lives on a smallholding farm in the South Yorkshire Dark Peak with his partner Jayne, 2018 UK Nurse of the Year.
His commitment for the Presidential year is to push for a more sustainable, shorter, fit for purpose & affordable revised overall Training pathway for a career in OMFS. This in line with recommendations and affirmation of the requirements by the PMETB (Rubin) and GMC reviews, aimed at reducing duplication and condensing the necessary acquisition of skills into a UK wide, accessible and consistent route.
He has served as elected Council Member BAOMS and the terms of Office as below which confer Trustee status demanding supervision and safeguarding of the well-being and interests of the Association including its Charitable standing.
Further intentions are to protect the interests of Fellows in Training , the Associate Membership in their key roles in many OMFS Departments, and those junior colleagues early in their career, for whom a real change & improvement in the Training trajectory may make a real difference.
Two other commitments for Presidential Initiatives funded by discretionary funds available to a President will be - an open “Heritage Hall” to recognise & celebrate those colleagues of all levels who die after contributing to the Specialty of OMFS at any level – not simply the pre-eminent, well published - or high position holders. Family, - or colleagues with family permission - will be able to record the contribution, life and achievements of clinicians who gave to the development of OMFS in the UK.
Secondly, given the recent importance of technological communication methods, a video based more frequent “update” on events as an insert to the BAOMS webpage is intended.
Achievements and positions held:
- President BAOMS 2021
- Past Hon Secretary BAOMS 2016-19
- Past Hon Treasurer BAOMS 2013-16
- Elected Member Specialist Advisory Committee [OMFS] JCST 2016-21
- Consultant OMFS Sheffield Hospitals – 23 yrs.
- Consultant OMFS Barnsley Hospital – 23 yrs
- Hon Senior Clinical Lecturer – University of Sheffield School of Clinical Dentistry – 23 yrs
- Current OMFS Rep NHS Digital/ National Case mix Office Clinical Leaders / Expert Working Group “Dental” / Expert Working Group “Head & Neck”
- OMFS SAC Rep, Training Interface Group (Head & Neck Surgical Oncology) with responsibility for Curriculum 2018-21 – Author of new H&N TIG Curriculum in presentation to GMC 2019-2020
- Chair, Training Interface Group (Head & Neck Surgical Oncology) 2021 -24
- Acknowledged contributor, Getting it Right First Time (GIRFT)– OMFS Review 2019
- Past Chair, Lead Clinician, Head & Neck Cancer, N Trent Ca Network – 7 yrs.
- Past Training Programme Director, OMFS – “Trent” rotation – 3yrs.
- National Selector OMFS 10yrs
- Faculty Birmingham Trauma Skills Course - 24yrs
- Trained in 30+ NHS Hospitals across S Wales, Leeds, Gt Manchester and London areas.
Clinical Interests - H&N Oncology, Reconstructive surgery, Laser applications, Microvascular Extracranial to Intracranial neurosurgical revascularisation, Head & Neck Vascular lesions, Management of Oral Dysplasia and its risks. Lectured and presented widely at Regional, UK National, European & International levels.
Teaching including Trauma Skills following acute involvement with major incidents – Docklands Bomb 1996.
Specialty Interests - Teaching & Training in OMFS. Security for and recruitment of next generation surgeons. New areas of surgical activity for OMFS.
Outside interests – farming / forestry, restoring classic tractors, DIY, photography, shooting.