Unique GPs and facial surgeons’ partnership produces key handbook to help primary care clinicians
07 October 2016 (Last updated: 16 Nov 2016 11:03)
PRESS RELEASE: 00.01 7 Oct 2016
Invite to book launch RCGP Annual Conference Harrogate 10.45am 7 October RCGP Bookshop.
Unique GPs and facial surgeons’ partnership produces key handbook to help primary care clinicians recognise life-threatening face and mouth cancers.
Recognising life-threatening mouth or neck cancers and other serious facial conditions is very difficult in primary care. But, this will become easier after today when the British Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons (BAOMS) and Royal College of General Practitioners (RCGP) launch a jointly developed book for primary care clinicians. Each of the UK’s 9,400 GP practices will receive a free copy of the book, written by BAOMS members and funded by the BAOMS Presidential Fund.
The incidence of head and neck cancer together with serious conditions affecting jaws, skin and the salivary glands are increasing in the UK every year. Treatments carry the significant risk of morbidity and mortality, and often have potentially disastrous psychosocial consequences for patients.
Now for the first time GPs have an accessible and easy to read guide that highlights the key signs to look for that identify the mouth and face cancers that are often challenging to recognise. It provides a toolkit to manage the patient care pathway using a simple, presentation–based account of the conditions that GPs are likely to see in their practice.
Authors and maxillofacial specialty registrars Alex Goodson and Arpan Tahim together with BAOMS Chair Mike Davidson will launch the book with RCGP Chair of the Clinical Innovation and Research Centre Imran Rafi. The launch takes place today at the RCGP annual conference on 7 October in Harrogate on the RCGP Bookstand at 10.45am (see notes to editors for more info). If you are very quick, there are 150 free copies of the book to give away on a first-come-first-served basis from 11am.
“This is an invaluable resource for medical students and those in an established practice. The book is specifically designed to inform primary care clinicians about an area of healthcare that many may have had little training in,” Alex Goodson explains. “The treatment algorithms in the toolkit mean GPs will be able to recognise sinister features more easily, and make earlier referrals so that patients access appropriate treatment programmes more quickly. I believe this will save lives and mean less aggressive, longer term therapy for patients.”
The RCGPs’ Imran Rafi has worked closely with BAOMS throughout the development of the handbook, Important oral and maxillofacial presentations for the primary care clinician, and says:
"Oral and maxillofacial conditions presenting in general practice can be challenging to identify and manage. This book provides readily accessible information that reinforces learning through different ways.
"This book will have longevity and will be invaluable to medical students, those in training or in established practice."
BAOMS Chair Mike Davidson says: “BAOMS is delighted to fund this handbook through the BAOMS Presidential programme. It shows that we have thought beyond our own specialty needs to develop a practical resource for our primary care colleagues. It is an excellent collaboration between primary and secondary care clinicians to improve the overall quality of patient care. BAOMS President Professor Peter Brennan will leave a legacy that enhances healthcare long after his term of office has ended.”
There are plans to send an e-book version to all 50,000 UK-based GPs and GP trainees, and extend this to dental practices later this year.
For further information and interviews contact: Siân Evans on 020 8674 8921 / 07752 414433 or BAOMS on 020 7405 8074.
Notes to editors
• Journalists and photographers are invited to attend the launch of Important oral and maxillofacial presentations for the primary care clinician at 10.45am on Friday 7 October at the RCGP Annual Conference on the RCGP Bookstand in the exhibition area at the Harrogate International Centre. Please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org / 07752 414 433
• Book authors Alex Goodson and Arpan Tahim together with BAOMS Chair Mike Davidson are available for interview.
• The BAOMS Presidential Fund paid for the publication of Important oral and maxillofacial presentations for the primary care clinician, which was written by BAOMS members Alexander M C Goodson, Arpan S Tahim, Karl F B Payne and Peter A Brennan.
• Copies of Important oral and maxillofacial presentations for the primary care clinician have been sent free to each of the 9,400 GP practices in the UK. Copies are also available from Amazon at cost.
• The British Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons (BAOMS) promotes the advancement of education, research and the development of oral and maxillofacial Surgery in Great Britain, and encourages and assists postgraduate education, study and research. For more information see About BAOMS
• The Royal College of General Practitioners (RCGP) is the professional membership body for family doctors in the UK and overseas, committed to improving patient care, clinical standards and GP training.
Further information from the RCGP
Copies can be bought for £12.50 GBP. Please visit Libripublishing
View Other News